Tuesday, November 21, 2006

LIfe is a Bunch of Frog Fish...

You never know what you might get...
Frog fish come in all shapes and sizes. Some are colorful, others are more somber. They remind me of gargoyles or stereotypical cigar store Indians from the dated past. Diverse. Varied. Like the fiction we writers compose.
This photograph was scanned long ago when I had no control over my destiny and included the blank screen as part of the picture. I like to keep it because it reminds me when I knew less than I do now and gives me hope that tomorrow I will know even more...

6 am and 75 degrees.
My muse is at my side and frankly annoyed each time I shift position. Muses are like that. They have standards they have to maintain which have no relationship to their job. I threaten to withhold pay but then realize she is working essentially for free. It is a conundrum.
I am euphoric this morning. My agent thinks I did a terrific job on my edits. I am SO needy and I adore praise. Why is that? I notice this about all writers no matter what the level. Paul and I were talking about how important and gratifying feedback is. He was jealous of my detailed editorial letter - I could tell - of course he has been publishing a book a year for 44 years. He doesn't need the kind of editing I need. But I guess it is still a lesson for me. All writers want feedback. We all want to make a difference and have readers appreciate our words...our stories...
And we like to hear it. See it written down.
Blogs too.
I think all bloggers love comments, especially unexpected ones. I now have several blogs I peruse each morning while drinking my coffee...Sam...ladybronco...Star Captain's Daughter...maya...and more.
I am meeting people I would never have met.
As my character, Jerry, would say.
That is so cool...

3 comments:

LadyBronco said...

You are absolutely right about the comments!
I love it when I see that someone actually thought enough about what I have to say to, well, comment on it. :0)

Kimber Li said...

I so enjoy your little notes of encouragement on my blog too, Orion!

Anonymous said...

Not getting comments is like yelling down a well. I like comments a lot.