Sunday, September 13, 2009

THE LONG AND WINDING ROAD...OR DIDN'T WE JUST PASS THIS PLACE???

I remember taking this photo in Norway. After a while all the cliffs that I felt the car would plunge over started looking the same...


The idea for this blog post is courtesy of THIS

Title:

YOU DON'T HAVE TO READ MY F***ING SCRIPT IF I DON'T HAVE TO LISTEN TO YOUR F***ING RANT

I read the comments about this essay and they were evenly divided between agreeing with the ranter and disagreeing saying that everybody needs a hand early in their career.
Let me give my take on the situation.
In my case help was encouragement in workshops not reading a manuscript and getting me an agent. I help other writers because I know what it was like.
Do I read their work? Only in facilitated workshops. Do I get them an agent? No because I don't know what kind of agent they want. Do I send them to my editor? No that's not my job. Will I answer questions about writing or publishing? YES YES YES.
Anyone who asks about my path or has a question gets an answer.
Do I have to insult someone who genuinely thinks I might want to read or edit their unagented work?
No.
Never.
Why?
Because they don't know any better. I tell them about writers groups and organizations and conferences and wish them luck.
Yes I know it's impossible to discourage true writers. But yanno. I don't want to discourage them. I want other writers to succeed. If something I say helps then yeah!
If they get annoyed with me for not easing their path then I can't help that. I'm too busy revising my next manuscript to worry about that.
The thing is...
Why be mean?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally (TOTALLY) agree with your point here. Who do those people think they are, anyway?!?

Now that we're such good buddies, being on the same astral plane and all -- can I send you my latest manuscript. I wrote it this afternoon, and it is 564 pages of EXACTLY what your post is all about! Just give me your mailing address and I'll send it right away (money's tight right now -- is COD okay?)

thx, ur bosombuddy,
Z's Dog

ORION said...

um...I think you missed my point Dog...

Anonymous said...

WUT DOZENT DEESTROY UZ MAKS UZ STRONGER.
BRING ON THE MEAN...
I KEN TAK IT.
TOOLOOSE

Khanh Ha said...

Can't speak for others but I only read and critique manuscripts when I know a writer very well. Then if the MS is really promising, I'll think of something else to help get it out there. Still I'm far too busy with my own work and other trivialities in my daily grind to be a charitable ass.

Ray Wong said...

I have a manuscript here.. will you just fraking read it and send it to your uber agent? Call me!

:)