NOTE!!!!!NEW BLOG THAT IS WAAAAAAAY COOL...BOOKROAST
Check it out.
Okay. Back to our regularly scheduled programming...
WARNING: The following is intended for mature audiences...
Nearly 6 am and I have three hours before I have to be at Leeward Community College to give a lecture (talk story).
I love living in Hawaii. I think you can get that. But what I REALLY love is when other authors come visit and I can mind meld with them. The very wonderful and very talented ANITA AMIRREZVANI (she was on the 2008 Orange Prize long list) author of THE BLOOD OF FLOWERS came into town for a little R & R.
I immediately corrupted her.
Afternoon Mojitos and an indepth discussion of writing.
THING WE HAVE IN COMMON:
1. We never expected any of the wonderful things that have happened to us this year- They all came as a complete surprise -- we just wanted to write a great story.
2. Mojitos in the afternoon are the best.
3. It's REALLY hard to concentrate on the next book when the first one won't let us go. It's like a kid that has graduated from college but won't get a job or pay room and board and you don't have the heart to kick him out into the cold cold world.
4. We LOVE LOVE LOVE book clubs.
5. It's REALLY hard to concentrate on that next book.
6. Sometime's a little R & R is a good thing. Leave your work and then come back to it.
7. Connecting with other authors is the best and we can compare notes on how we write. (Do YOU write the last chapter first? OHHH me TOO!!!! Do YOU second guess yourself and agonize??? OHHHH ME TOO!!!!)
8. We don't worry about whether we are commercial or literary...that's for other people to decide. We just like to tell a good story.
9. It's REALLY hard to concentrate on the next book?
10. Drinking with other authors is necessary for mental health and actually Mojitos at any time of the day are a good thing.
Any way we had good fun and I hope to reconnect again. So run right out and buy her book. It's VERY good.
(Did I tell you we agreed that it's really hard to concentrate and write the next book?)