Sunday, December 03, 2006

Maneki Neko for good fortune


5:30 am and 76 degrees
I have two others that are ceramic, but when I found this Christmas ornament of the asian good luck cat yesterday, I was thrilled. Gord and I buy an ornament each year for our December anniversary.
This is where I hung him (the ornament not Gordon).

It's dangling from a hook In the middle of the salon.
On the hook that should have been the home of a very expensive brass kerosene lamp.
The lamp I gave away because I thought it was ugly.
Then I was told it was not ugly -- it was "salty."
This is what avid sailors (husbands) call anything that is butt ugly but they want to keep on their boat.
I gave it away.
I tend to do that with things I think are ugly or inconveniently placed.
Like masts.
Gordon is thankful I understand now that a sail boat is useless without a mast.
He was afraid for a long time that I would try to give it away and was glad it was too heavy for me to drag up to the marina laundry room. This is where you take things that you have no use for. Like a free gift exchange.
When people see me go there with stuff to give away they follow me.
I have this reputation.
Anyway...back to the mast...
It is a large white pillar that penetrates the deck passing through the salon all the way to the keel.
Essentially I have a large aluminum white post in the middle of my living room.
How do you decorate around that?
Like a 100 pound gorilla sitting on your coffee table.
You just ignore it.
Let it sit there.
Leave it alone.
Like when your book is in New York.
Being shopped.
Kind of like that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here, Kitty, Kitty. Very cute. Now, I'm going to have to go out and find one too!

Anonymous said...

How adorable is that?
That would go great in my Asian-themed living room! lol

Anonymous said...

That's a cute decoration!
Yes, a mast in the middle of the room would be a decorator's nightmare.
My daughter would tie glittery tinsel boas around it, lol!